Hero pilot fired for letting footballer on the flight deck

For our english speaking users.
Scylla
Капетан на Concorde
Капетан на Concorde

Hero pilot fired for letting footballer on the flight deck

Post by Scylla »

Saddam Hussein's anti-aircraft batteries couldn't bring him down.

But Pablo Mason, whose handlebar moustache and love of flying made him a hero of the 1991 Gulf war, has been permanently grounded - and all for doing a Premiership football player a favour.

Captain Mason, who became an airline pilot after leaving the RAF, lost his job after taking Blackburn Rovers home on a private charter flight following a match in Finland in August.

His crime was to allow one of the players, Robbie Savage, to spend most of the three-hour journey on the Airbus A320's flight deck to help allay his fear of flying.

That, however, was deemed a breach anti-terrorism rules by MyTravel airways and the 57-year-old was sacked from his £90,000-a-year job.

He is not going without a fight. Captain Mason, who led Tornado jets on 23 bombing missions over Iraq, hitting targets on every one, accused the airline of an "astonishing lack of common sense".

He added: "Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

"There is no way on a normal public charter I would entertain taking even a small child on to the flight deck when I have no idea of their pedigree.

"But this was a famous footballer politely requesting to do so on a private charter.

"The plane was barely half full with a Premiership football team, its directors and staff.

"I am quite aware of the threat of terrorism. But when there is no threat, as I judged there not to be on this occasion, I don't think you should blindly adhere to rules set by bureaucratic nincompoops."

Flight deck visits had not been allowed on public charter planes since September 11.

The pilot, a father of two, is appealing against his dismissal. If that fails, intends to go to an employment tribunal.

"I just want to get back to the job I love," he said.

In his commercial career, Captain Mason, of Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, has endeared himself to thousands of passengers with his amusing in-flight announcements.

Savage, 32, described him as "the nicest pilot I have had the pleasure of flying with".

In a letter to him, the footballer wrote: "I am shocked, stunned and upset that you have been suspended for allowing me into the cockpit.

"If I thought for one moment that this would have compromised your position, I would never have asked."

Yesterday Captain Mason's wife Alicia said: "In a world of grey suits, Pablo has got the bright yellow one on.

"Flying is his life and he is not afraid to stand up for what he believes in."

A MyTravel spokesman said Captain Mason had been sacked 'for a breach of the strict policies required by the regulatory authorities for all flight deck and cabin crew personnel.

"We have a zero-tolerance policy towards any actions which could endanger the safety of our passengers and employees".

Airplanes usually kill you quickly - a woman takes her time.