Macedonia 2014 scenery project for FSX

For our english speaking users.
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Re: Macedonia 2014 scenery project for FSX

Post by samsamfin »

that is a possibility. problem is that streetlights cannot be excluded. urban area lights might have the same problem. only workaround is to either disable ORBX streetlights, or to delete Ultimate Macedonias streetlight and urban area light files. the BGL files in question are:

Streetlights:
- Files beginning with 'Lights_'

Urban area lights:
- Files beginning with 'LPURBFBRC_'
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

screenshot of the urban area lights over cities
ohridstruganightjpg.jpg
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

Very nice job mister! Thanks!
Can you, please, pay more attention on air fields (sport aerodromes) like Stenkovec (ICAO LW75 ), Logovardi (near Bitola ICAO LW74), Prilep (LW66) like putting some buildings (few) or similar? Thanks!

It'll be nice if you put some precautions related to ORBX and lights used in this scenery (like in previous post)
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

i havent been experimenting with ORBX now or any other scenery products. reason being that i swapped into windows 8 again, and now im having some serious issues with FSX while flying at night. FSX and WIN 8 do not mix too well. i will add extra lines in the readme file inside the zip as soon as i have done some experimenting. UTX most likely has similar issues with streetlights. its just that there are always compatibility issues when it comes to different add-ons, and testing them all because of a freeware scenery project isnt too meaningful in my opinion. of course if users want to test and report back, those issues can be fixed (or if not fixed, at least warned).

about those airports, i can add buildings if i get some aerial images of their locations. i will check HERE maps. last i recall they have best aerial imaginery for Macedonia.
Dante
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by Dante »

Sami, tried the Ultimate Macedonia 1.3 but, too many buildings, which are not in order, and it lowers my frames per second. Is there some big difference between the 1.2 and 1.3, or is it the buildings only? I'll continue using the 1.2 version, which I like. Anyway, tried the LWSK FS9 scenery, and works great on FSX. Will convert all the BGL9 files into BGL for fsx, will see how it works.
Project Officer at Clean Aviation JU
ENAC Graduate in Aeronautics and Space
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. --- Leo Da Vinci
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

Dante wrote:Sami, tried the Ultimate Macedonia 1.3 but, too many buildings, which are not in order, and it lowers my frames per second. Is there some big difference between the 1.2 and 1.3, or is it the buildings only? I'll continue using the 1.2 version, which I like. Anyway, tried the LWSK FS9 scenery, and works great on FSX. Will convert all the BGL9 files into BGL for fsx, will see how it works.
just making sure that when you update the scenery version, you deleted all previous files first? version 1.3.2 and 1.3.1 have different filenames for streetlights, so if you didnt delete the old ones, you end up having 2 times more draw calls, thus having lower framerate. thats the only scenery based reason i can think of. difference with 1.2 and 1.3 is the landclass type of urban areas. in version 1.2 all urban areas have the grid layout, while in 1.3 the landclass is changed into non-grid one. it shouldnt have any impact on framerates.

one thing that came to my mind when you mentioned misplaced buildings: in version 1.3, there are less roads, and when there are less roads, it gives more space for autogenerated buildings. meaning that in previous versions when there were loads of roads, they blocked autogen buildings from appearing. i think this is what you are experiencing. and more autogen buildings eats up your FPS.

few posts ago i was talking about this problem (the satellite image blended over skopje). the default landclass textures in FSX also include built-in placings for autogen buildings. the way FSX scenery is made, is no where realistic unless you use satellite images.
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

i decided to start working on night lights that wont eat up the fps. i will do some testing, and if i manage to create it the way im planning, the lights should have very minimal impact on FPS. these light points i use now arent really practical if one wants to light up an entire city..............
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

My suggestion to you is to make some rudimentary .exe for switch of the lights
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

last time i created .exe was when i was 15, and that was DOS/Pascal:P .cmd or .bat is in my league
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

.bat will be okay too
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

Very, very good (and) with lights with "heavy" add-on's like PMDG 737 and RealAir Turbine Duke. With "Building Storms" I have 30 fps on Haswell 4670K with GTX760

samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

pretty nice fps. my graphics card isnt top notch, so im getting only like 15-20. u are only using the streetlights there? those city lights i made are useless when orbx global is used
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

im not 100% sure im right, but it seems that orbx city lights are tied to autogen. at least when i maxed autogen, i got tons of lights, and when i lowered autogen, i got equally less lights. have u noticed similar?
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

I din't notice that because I didn't install vector road lights from ORBX. But yes, Skopje lights are heavy on fps and now I've renamed light files in Addon Scenery folder
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

Has anyone tried the new Orbx OpenLC Europe yet? i was wondering if it makes this project obsolete?
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

samsamfin wrote:Has anyone tried the new Orbx OpenLC Europe yet? i was wondering if it makes this project obsolete?
Currently downloading

I'll write first impressions
SquadFX
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by SquadFX »

samsamfin wrote:Has anyone tried the new Orbx OpenLC Europe yet? i was wondering if it makes this project obsolete?
It's not obsolete.
In fact Ultimate Macedonia is far more beautiful than OpenLC. And, I think, Ultimate Macedonia is more (remember, this is subjective) accurate than OpenLC. Main disadvantage is lack of road traffic and performance hit caused by city lights.

22 - Ultimate Macedonia.jpg

33- OpenLC.jpg
44 - OpenLC.jpg
55 - Ultimate Macedonia.jpg
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

i tried openlc too, and i agree with you that the lack of traffic and the fps impact of those city lights are minus for UM. only way to get similar lights as Orbx, is to do what they did, and to create new autogen files and new textures. i doubt i will ever do that, unless theres some way to attach more autogen objects to default textures. from the 1.3.3 version i uploaded yesterday, i removed those city lights as default. im also adding more and more detailed urban areas all the time. i just simply go through bing and here maps, and make new polygons when i see built areas. thats the most accurate way to do it.
samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

just got to love these non-flat runways of x-plane:p

samsamfin
Падобранец
Падобранец

Post by samsamfin »

Updated the scenery a bit:

I removed those urban area lights that were giving city areas more glow (they just wind down FPS, and OrbX can do the same, so why bother eh?), disabled light poles in exchange for better FPS, changed the color of tertiary, living street and few other lights. In other words only the light bulbs are left, no poles. I also added more urban areas around Struga, Ohrid, Kicevo and Skopje, which im planning to keep on adding whenever i have free time.